Re: Jump Start

To: Scott Regel <SRegel@dpra.com>, mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jump Start
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:40:45 -0500
Hi Scott,

Your 1976 MGB is wired "negative to ground"; so is virtually every car made
since
at least 1970. If you are going to jump start from another vehicle, confirm that
both cars have their negative lead (should be black) grounded to the frame or
body close to the battery. If you confirm that, be certain the two cars are not
touching metal to each other, then clamp one end of your jumper cable set to a
piece of wood, again confirm that the two clamps do not touch each other. Take
the other end of the jumper cable set to the boosting battery, clamping first
the
red lead to the positive battery terminal, then clamp the black lead to the
negative terminal or a good ground point.

Bring the opposite end of the cable set (still clamped to the wood) to your MGB
battery; clamping first the red lead to the positive battery terminal, then
clamp
the black lead to the negative terminal or a good ground point such as the frame
that holds the battery. Start the boosting car; let it run. If you are using a
light gauge jumper cable set, leave the two connected this way for 5-10 minutes.
Now start the "B" as you normally would. Leave the connections on until the MG
warms up. When fairly certain that the MG will stay running, turn off the other
car and begin to disconnect the clamps in the opposite order as they were
connected: MG Black, clamp to wood, MG Red, clamp to wood, other car black,
other
car red.

If you are going to jump start from your battery charger, the process is
simpler.
Connect the black and red leads from the charger to the MG battery negative and
positive terminals respectively. Turn on the battery charger for a 5 minute
charge. at the end of that time, switch over to the start position and start the
MG as usual. As soon as the MG starts, switch off the charger, and remove it
when
the car is running smoothly.

BTW if you are doing this in a garage or unclosed space, watch the ventilation;
with two cars running, you will suffocate before they do, and that's no fun at
all.

Good Luck,

Jim