Re: Jump Start

To: "Scott Regel" <SRegel@dpra.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Jump Start
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:11:14 -0500
I've heard it said that you can goof your alternator up when jumping
another car or getting your B jumped.  Oddly enough, both times I
had an alternator failure were days after jumping another car or
getting a jump start.

I do think there's a direct correlation to how the car is jumped and
the battery of the car getting jumped (that is, if you're using your
B as the jump-er.)

I had jumped about ten cars in between alternators without problems.
The last time I jumped a car was when my sis left her lights on.  It
killed the already old battery, and I have a feeling this took a
toll on my alt.  I also think that there's some credence to
connecting the ground last.  That's just my opinion though.

When the alternators failed, it wasn't catastrophic with flying bits
and flames or anything (though that might have been cool to see...)
The idiot light just came on, followed by a drop in charging power.
Some will say the diodes failed; I really can't say as I just
returned it to the store and got a new one a few days later.

Personally, I wouldn't sweat it.  Just be careful.

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata
1986 Plymouth Turismo T1