Re: Fw: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 14:41:18 -0800
Simple. It doesn't. They have the same contact area, just different
length & width dimensions. More width x less length = same area.

Let me repeat: wider tires do not give you a bigger contact patch (unless
you also lower the tire pressure). They just change its shape. It just
happens that the shape makes a difference.

See some of the Road & Track tire test articles for a thorough
explanation. But I think you can see how the contact patch might have
different characteristics along its long dimension (width on a wide tire,
length on a skinny tire) than along its short dimension. The fact that
the tire sidewalls tend to roll under lateral force has a more adverse
effect on the skinny tire, for instance. And the buildup of a wave of
water or snow in front of the leading edge of the tread has a greater
effect on the wide tire, in that it is easier for the buildup to escape
to the side of the skinny tire.

wizardz had this to say:

--

Max Heim