Re: Fw: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Going to look at a '71 B tomorrow
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 08:52:19 EST
In a message dated 12/17/1999 5:41:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mvheim@studiolimage.com writes:

<< Simple. It doesn't. They have the same contact area, just different
 length & width dimensions. More width x less length = same area.

 Let me repeat: wider tires do not give you a bigger contact patch (unless
 you also lower the tire pressure). They just change its shape. It just
 happens that the shape makes a difference. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Keep in mind that what we are comparing is two tires that are EXACTLY the
same.  The same rubber compound, the same sidewall height, the same sidewall
stiffness, the same tread, AND the same tire pressure, all on the same car.
In that case, the contact patch will be the same area, even with different
width tires.

Back to the real world.  Wider tires are of no advantage if they have the
same sidewall height and stiffness.  They aren't much stickier (for
competition use, at least) if they don't have a softer rubber compound, etc.
So in the real world, narrower, taller tires tend to have a smaller contact
patch area than wider, lower tires (that you probably bought to make the car
corner better in the dry), and so they are better in snow.

Ok...back to LBCs.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget