Re: MGB Piston Rings

To: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB Piston Rings
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:04:30
At 06:28 PM 12/21/99 -0600, Tyson Sherman wrote:

>.... They're 4 ring pistons from Victoria British .... The rings are Deves
from Northwest Import (both are .030" over).

>The original oil control ring consisted of top and bottom rails and a
center zigzag part.  The new one does the same but has an expander in the
middle.  The expander doesn't seem to fit all that well; is it correct to
install this expander on a B?

Generally, yes.  The expander and the spacer combine to make the two thin
oil wiper rings expand to what looks like a fairly large diameter when they
are first installed in the free position.  When you apply a ring compressor
(firmly) they should scrunch right down to the OD of the piston.  If they
do you're home free with the right parts.  If they do not, then the bottom
ring groove may not be deep enough for these oil control rings.  The
paperwork that comes with the rings should (may) specify the depth of the
grooves.  You might check the depth of the grooves in the new pistons
against the old ones.  I have had good luck with Deves rings, never had any
problem fitting them.  My last set of pistons was Aerolite brand, and the
Deves rings fit fine.  Give them a good squeeze with the ring compressor.
My bet says they work okay.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg