Valve cover cap nut

To: MG Board <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Valve cover cap nut
From: gbaker@customcpu.com (Baker, G.)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 19:09:23 -0900
Gentlemen & Ladies,
   This is really a stupid problem.  On finishing my engine rebuild I
ordered two new valve cover cap nuts to replace my aged and scarred
ones.  I ordered Moss part #460-145.  The first hint of a problem was
when I couldn't get my valve cover to snug down.  I had used ARP after
market studs so I assumed (badly) that the stud must be the wrong
length.  The valve cover needed about 1/4 to 3/8" more pull down thread
to tighten.  Long story short..........nothing worked until I noticed
the new cap nuts measure 1.45" and the old ones taken off the engine
measure 1.1".  I checked the plastic bag the part arrived in and it's
marked 460-145.  I notice in the MGB catalog that the B uses two
different cap nuts for their engines.  The catalog shows #460-145,
chrome (same as the MGA) from 1977 on AND #460-112 (not available in
chrome) thru 1976.
   Question........could someone tell me how long Moss part #460-112
is?  I can only hope Moss just mismarked them.
Anybody else ever had such a stupid problem?
Thanks,
Gregg Baker