Re: Rough Running - 67 MGB

To: "Tom Wagner" <twagner@pdq.net>, "mg" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rough Running - 67 MGB
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 00:21:12 -0000
Hi, Tom.

> Well here I go again, as I was coming back from the airport tonight
> I noticed a lot of blue smoke coming out the tailpipe when idling
> at a traffic light(did not smell like it was oil smoke).

Question is, is it oil or is it fuel? Oil smoke is blue but fuel smoke is
not dissimilar, as evidenced by the colour of the tailpipe. If the car's
running savagely rich, the tailpipe will be black after a blast at speed.
If the bores are goosed, you will get a pursuing blue haze all the time but
if the top end's poorly, this will be more so when accelerating hard after a
period at idle or on the over-run.
A compression check would be a good idea, as would figuring out your oil
consumption. If it's like, say, 100 miles to the pint, it's rebuild time.
Also, keep an eye on the oil pressure.

> Car was running rough the whole way back, about 45 miles.
> I have had to reset timing numerous times in the last 2-3 weeks,
> and I think this is unusual.

I think we need a definition of rough running. Is the car bogging down on
acceleration? Is it just incapable of running cleanly at any speed or can it
not pull higher revs? Does it start OK?  One thought that springs to mind is
the advance systems(s). If the car will tick Ok but loses interest higher up
the rev. range, your mechanical advance bobweights might be sticking. You
can check this by taking off the dist. cap and twisting the rotor arm-you
should feel the springs working and the spindle should return to its
original position. Check the vac advance by sucking on the pipe, you should
see the baseplate moving.
Also, why did you reset the timing. Was the engine pinking?

> The car is a 67 B and it ran great to the airport this am, but then
> tonight started having problems running right.  When running at
> 60 MPH there is no smoke, but the car still runs rough.  At traffic
> light car will idle and won't stall.

Great in the morning and poor later on implies an intermittent fault, quite
possibly electrical in origin. In the evening, was it wetter/colder/more
traffic?
For the small cost involved, you could replace the plugs, points and
condenser anyway. You could also start the engine in the dark and look for
leaking sparks going to earth.

> Questions:
>
> Is this an example or symptom of timing chain problems???
No. The worst the chain can do, apart from break, is allow the cam timing to
wander, which would give continuous problems. Equally, were the chain so bad
as to allow this, it would most probably be rattling by now.

> Is this a time to start thinking about rebuild????

Not necessarily. Depends on the results of the checks above.

RSVP,

Dave Hill

David Hill/Psychomotor
Can I Telework for you? Try...