Re: Bizarre non-MG brake problem

To: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>, "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bizarre non-MG brake problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 09:37:18 -0000
How many times has he pumped the pedal?  If he pushed all the pistons right
back into the calipers before fitting the new pads that could take several
pumps to push them all into contact with the disks.

Where are all the pads in relation to the disks?  If one or more pads have
clearance to the disk then there is no (or insufficient) pressure in the
system - at that corner, at least.

>From an MGB perspective, if the system is full of fluid and there are no
leaks, either visible on the ground or a dropping level in the m/c, then
there must either be air in the system or the m/c is leaking back.  However
if the m/c has been changed, that leaves air in the system.  But changing
the m/c *will* have introduced air into the system, so maybe it is a
combination of insufficient pedal pushes in the first case and air in the
system now.

If the brakes were working fine before the pads were changed, and that is
all that was done originally, then IMHO there is more to be lost than gained
by willy-nilly changing parts - he is just introducing more variables.  You
say he can find no leaks "to speak of", what does that mean, there is a leak
but it is a very small one?  There shouldn't be any at all.  When bleeding,
he should be looking for air bubbles in the fluid (or rather, a lack of
them).  He may have to employ several methods of pedal pumping to shift all
the air, or an Eezi-Bleed or similar.  I would concentrate on that before
changing anything else.

Finally, not that it's much help now, if he considers the pressure that is
in the braking system in an emergency stop, and the leverage effect of the
m/c and calipers, there is no way anyone is going to damage the m/c by
putting pressure on a caliper.

Good luck,
PaulH.