Re: Bizarre non-MG brake problem

To: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>, "MG List" <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bizarre non-MG brake problem
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 08:27:48 -0600
Mike,
        I'll take a stab at this, though I could probably give more specific
advise if  I knew the year, etc.
Anyway, on 4 wheel disc brake cars, either the front or rear will have an
emergency brake (hand brake) arrangement. With some exceptions (BMW,Volvo,
Toyota, Mercedes et al) the cable(s) operate a lever that mechanically
ratchets out the piston to apply pad pressure to the disc (rotor). When
changing pads on the hand brake calipers, one is to screw the piston back
into the housing. Once that is done and the pads are installed a soft pedal
will be present unless you repeatedly operate the hand brake lever/cable to
ratchet the piston out far enough to bring the pads into close proximity of
the rotor. Some cars (notably SAABs, and VW Jettas) take as many as a
hundred on-off operations to accomplish this. Of course, if your cables are
rusted, things are made more difficult. I am assuming here that there is no
air in the lines as you seem to have adequately addressed that issue. I am
further assuming that any and all slides and other mechanicals are not
rusted and immovable.
        LBC content.... similar situation occurs if rear wheel cylinders are not
adjusted properly causing too much piston travel before contact.
        Hope this helps.
        Peter C
-----
At 08:35 PM 1/6/2000 , Mike Lishego wrote:
>Hello all,
>    I'm begging the advice of the experts on this one.  A friend of
>mine just replaced all four wheels of brake pads on his Daytona.
>All he did was remove the pads and put new ones on, and he suddenly
>found his brake pedal going to the floor.