Re: Midgets and Sprites

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Sprites
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 17:48:38 -0800
Verrrrry interesting. You said earlier your race engine was about $5500.
Let's see...

$5500 engine
$5500 original purchase price
($11,000 subtotal)

So you are saying the entire remainder of your race car, including strip
and paint, gearbox, safety equipment, etc. as mentioned, was only A$3000?
Hmmm, that seems low to me. Sure you added that up right? But that's OK,
I don't have a quibble with the price. I'll grant you that it's cheaper
than building a race B to the same level.

I still don't understand your claimed engine tuning "differential"
between the A-series and the B engine. At 130 HP you're getting about
100HP/liter. What's to prevent the B engine being uprated to the same
level of performance (about 180HP)? Wouldn't it then regain its
power-to-weight advantage over the Midget?

My calculator tells me that a stock 1275 and a stock 1800 have almost
identical specific output, at 55HP/liter, which supports my contention
that the two engines are similar designs with similar levels of tuning
from the factory. So your argument that the A-series was "detuned" from
the factory could just as easily be applied to a B.

I guess you would just point out that in practice, at your race meets, it
doesn't work out that way. Tom seemed to concur on this point. Still, I
would like to hear from a B racer!

Finally, I must take exception to your statement about steering geometry.
Compared to 99% of the cars on the road, the CBB has incredibly precise,
quick, "sweet" steering. The
Spridgets just happen to have a ridiculously quick steering ratio, that
seems to spoil their drivers for anything else (once they get used to
it); but doesn't detract from the B's excellent steering.

Happy racing! (don't trip over any "Midget" mechanics in the paddock...)

Mike Gigante had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149