Re: Midgets and Sprites

To: "Baker, G." <gbaker@customcpu.com>, MG Board <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Midgets and Sprites
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 16:34:22 -0800
On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 12:10:55PM -0900, Baker, G. wrote:
> Now that I've started a general variance of opinion.  My quick research
> indicates the bugeye only came with the 948cc engine.
> Am I to assume the 1275 engine is just the same block with different
> innards and will go into the bugeye without major problems.  I also have
> read the 948 isn't that bad to work with to get a good end product.
> Thanks for all the input.
> Gregg Baker

Frogeyes came with 948cc motors, drum brakes, downflow radiators and
smoothcase trannies.
Unless you are being contrained by a rule book, or maintianing originality,
you will want to convert to a 1275, disc brakes and a webcase.  The 948
had a mechanical fuel pump so you will need to add an electric. It is alos
adviasable  to upgrade to a crossflow radiator.

The brake master cylinders are different, but I don't remember if they are
interchangeable.

The conversion is nearly a bolt in.

The rear end ratios are, I believe, different being (as I remember)
4.11 in a frogeye and 3.90 in the later models.

A good source of TrickRacingShit is Winners Circle, which specializes
in racing spridgets.

The relevent racing classes are:

MGB             E Production
1275 spridget   F Production
1500 spridget   F Production
1098 spridget   G Production
 948 spridget   H Production

Ouch!  I was just trying to look up class records on the
www.sfrscca.com site when I found out that a fellow SOL,
Bill Knox died last month. He's the one that bought my ITC Cortina
and sold me my G Prod Spitfire.

I couldn't find track records but here are some times from Sears Point:
11   7    FP 1  JOE HUFFAKER, PETALUMA    HUFFAKER ENG/RED LINE OIL SF  73 MG
MIDG 13  1:51.139
17  16    FP 2  AARON MAY, EL SOBRANTE          RICHMOND INSTRUMENT SF  74 MG
MIDG 13  1:54.434
19  48    EP 1  BILL HARTMAN, YUBA CITY              HARTMAN RACING SF  63
LOTUS S 13  1:56.038
25  38    EP 2  DARLENE HAYS, PETALUMA              DSH MOTORSPORTS SF  76
TRIUMPH 12  2:09.481
7   37 #% HP STEVE HUSSEY, LOS GATOS    MINI MANIA/HUFFAKER/REDLINE SF
59/SPRITE          19  1:53.895
8   53    GP DAN HUNTSMAN, POINT REYS   MINI-MANIA/REDLINE/HUFFAKER SF  MIDGET
           12  1:55.357
  16   99   GT5 JON BECKER, MARTINEZ                        MINI MANIA SF  67
AUSTIN           8  1:59.370
28    8    GP BASIL C ADAMS, SAN FRANCISCO          ADAMS CONSULTING SF
53/MG-A             7  2:07.093

Unfortunately I can't seem to find any EProd times for MGBs.
Basically Little Joe can go and kick just about anybody's butt.  Yes, he's
the son of the Joe Huffaker that raced LBCs in the 50's and 60's.

   Larry

--
Computer guru:  Someone who read the manual.
lrc@red4est.com                                 http://www.red4est.com/lrc