RE: Another one bites the dust

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: RE: Another one bites the dust
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:27:53 -0800
Larry:

        I'm old fashioned and like the thought of the Rover V8.  What I am
hoping for is a late model 4.6 to come my way sometime in the future.  I'm
setting the car up using a 3.5L, but the change over to 4.6 is pretty easy
and well documented.  I am going to use the TS Imports RV8 style headers,
that look really nice, into a dual exhaust.  The GT is going to be the Mc
Nasty machine that all kinds of mods can be tried out on.  This was what the
V6 GT started out as.  Unfortunately the sunroof sealed the fate of that
shell.  It's hard to create a Sebring replica look with a bloody hole in the
roof.  So with many thanks to a  listmember a 67 GT shell was secured.
Lloyd Faust in LA supplied the parts for the RHD conversion.  It is going to
be fun figuring out how to do the V8 conversion in an early shell with RHD.
I guess it is time to get in touch with the British conversion experts.
     The 79 MGB V8 project is going to stay pretty close to the OE V8 design
with a 3.5L, block hugger headers and the stock single exhaust.  This is
going to be my daily ride, so the more off the shelf parts the better.

        Building the V6 demonstrated how many problems need to be surmounted
to build a one off conversion.  I don't have the time or energy to reinvent
the wheel (badly) again.  I enjoy driving the cars as well as tinkering.

        The alloy V8 is long toothed, but historical.  It's torque is suited
to the kind of driving I enjoy.  I'm a believer in "what if" projects.  So
installing a Rover 16 valve engine into an MGB with modernised suspension
would be of interest.  Sticking a high tech Japanese engine into a regular B
is not to my taste.  However the thought of building an MGB with Miata
powertrain stimulates my sense of evil scientist.

Kelvin.