Re: No start, '71 B

To: niederst@telerama.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No start, '71 B
From: Gonaj@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:24:01 EST
The question is do you have spark or not?
If there is no spark you need to look for 12 v. at the batt. side of the
coil.  Also inspect the connection to the breakers.  I had that fall off one
time while driving.  Very difficult to see at night on the hwy.  With voltage
there rotate the engine so that the breakers are closed.  With the ignition
on, use a plastic screwdriver or small stick, something that won't ground the
points, and pry the breaker points open.  You should see a spark there. If
not look for something grounding the points.  The condenser is connected
across the breakers to mimimize arking.  A shorted condenser/capacitor will
cause a problem here.  You can eliminate that as the problem by disconnecting
on end.  The car can run without it, but it is nota advisable for any length
of time.  Next, repeat this while holding the HT wire from the coil near the
block.  You should see a strong spark, if not suspect the coil.  Next thing
down stream is the rotor, clean it's contacts if they are corroded.  Finally
I would check for a crack in the distributor cap.  BTDT with a brand new cap
out of the box.

George
'76 MGB driver