Re: Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader

To: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Subject: Re: Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader
From: Matt Pringle <pringlmm@mcmaster.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:34:00 -0500
I'm pretty sure that the black dots of CU are based on quantitative data
and not arbitrary opinions of their editors.  Everything in this world
has a distribution associated with it.  The black dots are averages as
compared to other vehicles.  There are probably hundreds of anecdotes
about my mother's 1986 jetta running for 6 millon miles without a single
oil change or my boss' son's fiance's honda accord that couldn't go ten
miles without a breakdown.

Of course the one thing we know CU will never be able to assign a dot to
is whether the car is fun to drive. (thank god)

Matt