Re: Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader

To: Matt Pringle <pringlmm@mcmaster.ca>
Subject: Re: Consumer Reports was Re: Corvairs and Ralph Nader
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 20:51:24 -0600
Exactly right Mark;

  I had a new '62 Monza that swapped ends on me the first time I took a
curve too fast on a rain wetted city street.  Lucky I was only going
about 30 mph.  I couldn't get it back and wound up spinning into a gas
station lot.  Miraculously, I didn't hit anything.

  I knew some SCCA racing guys so I went to them for driving tips and
advice on how to improve the treacherous little beast.  The thing had
piles of traction in snow or sand; however, on snow the front wheels
would lock up easily upon braking because of the light front end so you
lost directional control. Same thing would happen if you tried a tight
turn on snow or ice at over 15-20 mph.  The thing would plow straight
ahead. If you were going to operate ANY model 'Vair on snow and ice you
were well advised to toss at least 100 pounds of ballast in the trunk.

  I'll take my B any time!!

  CR