Re: Ignition Switch Help!

To: <Speedo79@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ignition Switch Help!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:40:27 -0000
Your findings are correct.  The anti-runon valve is energised by receiving
12v from the ignition switch when you turn the key from 'run' to 'accessory'
or 'off'.  The valve opens (or more correctly, diverts suction in the
charcoal cannister from the atmosphere to the carb float chambers) and sucks
the fuel out of the carb jets, starving the engine of fuel and stopping any
running-on.  The ground for the valve comes from an oil-pressure switch
which is closed while the engine is running.  When the engine stops, oil
pressure slowly drops, and when it drops below about 8psi the switch opens
so de-energising the valve.  You may have noticed a click coming from the
car a couple of seconds or so after the engine stops.  If this oil pressure
switch has failed, or the wiring is grounding somewhere, the anti-runon
valve could be energised all the time the car is parked which is Not A Good
Thing.

However your battery drain may be caused by something else.  If you remove
the battery ground strap and connect a test-lamp in its place does the lamp
glow?  If it does, and all doors and boot/trunk are closed, then you have a
drain, the brightness of the lamp indicationg the amount of drain.  You can
now pull fuses and connectors, glancing at the lamp each time, to track down
the source.  If a drain can have a 'source'.

PaulH.