Re: Steel wheel to wire wheel conversion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steel wheel to wire wheel conversion
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 20:17:29 -0600
I've gone both ways on both MGAs and MGBs. The decision is one based on
looks versus practicality. I prefer wires but sometimes steel wheels (or
alloys) are the better choice - right Skye!!! Cost-wise, Phil is right,
new wheels are not inexpensive. That said, I have yet to buy a new wire
wheel. Many used 60 spoke MGA wheels (eg. from TR4/4A, Ausin-Healey,
etc.) are still straight and tight or can be made so quite
inexpensively. And I would never put a standard 48 spoke wire wheel on a
MGA - the 60 spoke was optionally available from new and is a much
better looking and robust wheel. But YMMV, etc.

Dave Q.
MGAs & MGBs
TR3A
XK150S etc.