Re: Steel wheel to wire wheel conversion

To: "Dave Quirt" <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steel wheel to wire wheel conversion
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:51:55 -0500
To throw my .02 in, I swapped the steel wheels on my 'B to wires a
few years ago.  All my original wheels were shot, so I bought a new
set.  I drove the car for quite a few miles, about 9 months, and I
drove it like I would've any other car.

Basically, I didn't drive like I was on eggshells.  I had beefy
tires on my 'B, so I didn't worry about bending a rim on a pothole.
Of course, I never autocrossed the car either, but it did see some
'spirited' driving on occasions.

It's really a matter of taste, I guess.  I will say that wires will
hold up to almost anything regular driving can dish out.  Most shops
that do custom wheels will have a machine that grips the wheel by
the rear rim to install the tire to avoid damage to the wheel.  You
can get tubes, and any new tire will work, but retreads are frowned
upon.

Anyway, it's up to you.  Don't be fooled by the delicate look of
wire wheels - they'll handle most anything you can dish out.

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata
1986 Plymouth Turismo T1