No pedal return

To: "MGB" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: No pedal return
From: "Dave Wood" <djw69@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:13:06 -0800
Enrigue,

It doesn't really matter whether you started at the front end or rear end
brakes.  Normally you start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder
and work your way to the closet, but that is to get the most air and junk
out of the brake lines first.  I think someone already mentioned that there
should be a return spring between the brake pedal and body under the dash.
That spring should guarantee that the pedal returns.  When I bleed my
brakes, I always have my wife or one of my kids pump the pedal for me while
I watch for the air bubbles to stop coming out and for the clean fluid to go
through a clear plastic tube into a clear glass or plastic container.  I
usually start by instructing the helper to wait for me to tell them to push
the pedal down or let it up.  I tell them down and wait a second then open
the nipple about a quarter turn and should then see a rush of fluid or
bubbles.  Then I close the bleeder nipple and tell them to let the pedal up.
I repeat this a couple of times and then leave the bleeder open with the
plastic tube end under the fluid in the container and have them slowly pump
the brake pedal.  Before you get too far be sure to check the level of the
fluid in the master cylinder and top up regularly.  A third helper could do
this for you.  When you have done this to all four wheels and have seen
clean fluid with no bubbles, your done.  If you can't get to the point of no
bubbles, you probably have an air leak somewhere in the line.  You should
get a little more pedal resistance when you finish each wheel unless the
whole system is full of air.  I once had a friend who drove a car with an
automatic transmission help me and I couldn't figure out why I was only
getting a dribble of fluid out until I realized he was pumping the clutch
pedal.  If that isn't the case, then your master cylinder may be bad or the
wheel cylinder at the wheel you are bleeding may be bad.  If you let the
brake fluid reservoir empty, you will need to start over at least with the
wheel you are working on and do all of the wheels over if you don't get good
pedal pressure after your done.  We have all done that a couple of times and
had to run to the store to get more brake fluid.

Sorry to run on like that, but it sounds like you may need a little more
help.

Dave  - 72 B - bleeding brakes for the past 40 years.