Re: Flat batteries again.

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@apphosting.com>, mgs List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flat batteries again.
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 10:07:16 -0500
Hi Neil,

Many an "A" driver has faced the same dilemma, in fact it was barely 2 weeks ago
when it last showed up. The solution is very much at hand.

Go to a K-Mart, or Walmart, or Sears Hardware, etc.
Buy one of those size 26 batteries, the one on sale should do just fine. The
batteries are built in two configurations: one with the positive terminal on the
left, the other has the positive terminal on the right. Chose your favorite;
they will both work fine. So far, at my local K-Mart, you're looking at $39.95.
The next step up is a very similar spec battery for $49.95; it has in addition
to the set of terminals on the top (the set we use), another set of terminals on
the side (the ones the newer domestic cars all use). Your MG won't need them, so
save the $10. Their next steps up offer more CCA's, longer warranties, 2-year
free exchange rather than 1-year for the lower priced models.

After you pick out your battery that the long black lead can reach, buy a new
RED long enough to go from its terminal to the point where your ground strap is
fastened to the frame. The old interconnect cables between batteries are now
redundant, but you may want to pass the new RED lead through the flex channel.

Clean the area at which your ground strap is fastened until it is free of rust.
A final spray with liquid chrome cleaner will do nicely. Rinse that off, dry the
area, spray on primer, spray on paint.  Replace the bolt and nut used to fasten
the ground to the car. Stainless steel is nice. Also include a pair of toothed
lock washers, one on each side of car sheet metal, and also in contact with loop
supplied on the cable. Those washers insure a good metal-to-metal contact for
the ground.

All pertinent disclaimers and yadda, yadda's apply. The fact that you read this
far, indicates your acceptance of the terms of the foregoing license agreement,
blah, blah.

Jim