Re: wheel bearings

To: <NICKLEST@uwplatt.edu>, <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearings
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 08:10:26 -0800
Todd,

Remove both bearings, clean them in solvent and examine them for
discoloration or pitting. If none found, reassemble with fresh lube and
appropriate shims till there is no play evident. Make sure the distance
pieces are between the bearings, otherwise there's nothing for the shims to
do! (I've seen shims under the nuts, where they do no good whatsoever!)  If
the bearings are discolored or pitted, you really should replace them.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center