Re: 18G -vs- 18V, differences?

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <Lundgren@iname.com>
Subject: Re: 18G -vs- 18V, differences?
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 08:25:51 -0600
At 9:57 AM -0700 2/17/00, Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:
>What are the differences between the 18V engines and the 18G's?  I
>know the following:
>
>Smog stuff.  (later G's also have the air manifold...)
>One year of the 18V has something funky on the water system for the
>choke I believe.
>The 18V use the simplex timing chain and gears...
>
>Anything else?
>
>The reason I ask is the '70 parts car I just bought has an 18V in it
>from a '77 car if I am correct.  The number is: 18V 890AEL 007...
>(forgot the rest...)
>My current engine is an 18G D .....  Forgot the rest.
>
>-
>Andrew Lundgren
>lundgren@iname.com

There is a significant difference in one other area-the connecting
rods.  The rods in an 18V engine weigh about 8 oz. less than those in
in an 18G engine. It is a small thing, but it makes a difference in
the engine's responsiveness
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/
My British Car is NOT leaky - it's merely marking its territory.