No Flames Please

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: No Flames Please
From: Kensington Furniture Company <kensington-fc@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:24:58 -0700
Some of you may say, go to the other list.  Well, I'm already there and
have exhausted all suggestions there and came here to pick your
experienced brains.  Nothing quite beats experience.  And, I'm always
asked what year my MG is, so, here goes.

The problem (occurred after new exhaust header and new rebuilt carbs
installed):

Hard braking when out of gear causes tachometer to nose dive and not
recover.  Car starts right back up and runs fine except for the problem
when hard braking.

Cannot find any vacuum leaks anywhere, have adjusted carbs and floats
from very lean to extremely rich and all points in between, changed fuel
filters, reset timing from 0 to 16 BTDC with no luck improving the
problem.  Even adjusted the valves, no help.

The car:

1970 Datsun 1600 Roadster with SU carbs

I know, I know - MG List, but I need more help just the same.  Any
thoughts on this problem are greatly appreciated.  I've been looking at
it sitting for a month now and can't think of anything new to check.

Thanks!

Jim