Re: No Flames Please

To: kensington-fc@uswest.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No Flames Please
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:31:04 EST
In a message dated 02/25/2000 10:21:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
kensington-fc@uswest.net writes:

> Hard braking when out of gear causes tachometer to nose dive and not
>  recover.  Car starts right back up and runs fine except for the problem
>  when hard braking.

>  The car:
>
>  1970 Datsun 1600 Roadster with SU carbs

It's been a whole lot of years since I had my head under the hood of a
toadster, but as I recall the carbs were Hitachi knock offs of SU's.  Does
your car have evap canister (charoal canister?)  If the evap system is
screwed up a slug of fuel can travel through the evap line and into the
engine flooding it.  I had a car that did that once.  As Paul pointed out, if
the tach drops like a rock, think electrical.
Good luck
Rick Ewald