Re: Stiff shifter movement

To: "Lonn and Rhonda" <hoops@owt.com>, "MG listerati" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stiff shifter movement
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:40:09 -0000
Hi, Lonn.

On my '72 GT, the gear lever felt odd and the action was baulky and
imprecise. I found two things...

At the base of the lever is a  Nylon split collar. This was fairly well
chewed so I put in a new one (cheap).

The plate which holds the lever in place was loose. It has bolts with shanks
and Thackeray washers ( double coil flat 'spring' washers). Tightening these
made a lot of difference.

In respect of lubrication, I coated the lever ball, cup and plate with MS
grease, adding a trace to the Nylon collar. This area *should* get splash
lubrication but if dry, could be the cause of a stiff change action.

All the best,

Dave Hill

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html