Where did my oil pressure go?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Where did my oil pressure go?
From: "Gary Davis" <6GPRO.GDAVIS@ibr6gw82.gp.usbr.gov>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 08:56:21 -0700
I've been on the list for a couple of years but have been lurking for the past
several months.  I parked my 70 GT last summer while working out the kinks in
my son's first car (not an MG - an 86 Saab 900).  A couple of weeks ago, I
learned that my two teenaged sons tried to start the car while I was away.
They were unsuccessful and killed the year-old battery.  Neither one will admit
who did it and what happened so I don't have the whole story.

I jumped it this weekend and drove it a couple of miles to the station to put
some air in the tires.  As I was returning home, I noticed that the oil
pressure gauge was reading 40-45 when driving but dropped to zero at idle.  I
hit the accelerator and it returns to 40.  When I parked the car last summer,
oil pressure was about 70 when driving and about 50 when idling.  Now after I
turn the engine off, I hear a relatively loud dripping noise in the engine that
I hadn't noticed before.  The car drives fine and the engine sounds normal
except for that dripping noise.

So what's going on with the oil pressure?  How bad can it be?  I'm not a
seasoned mechanic so don't take anything for granted in your reply.  I would
really appreciate some help with this.

Thanks in advance.

Gary Davis