Re: Ignition light

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Ignition light
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:36:55 -0000
If you have had the cars and driven it like that for some time i.e. enough
to flatten the battery if the alt wasn't charging then I should think the
alt *is* charging and the problem is just with the light.  If you turn on
the ignition (don't start the engine) do you get the light?  If so unplug
the alt.  Do you still get the light?

If not the fault is in the alt.

If it still glows the fault is in the light wiring.  The one thing the
ignition warning light doesn't need is a ground, not directly anyway, but if
it gets one it could be causing your problem.  The ignition warning light
holder has two wires, unlike other warning light holders on the car which
only have one wire.  The two wires for the ignition warning light are a
white from the ignition switch and a brown/yellow from the alt.  The case of
the light holder needs to be insulated from the case of the speedo.  Unplug
the holder from the speedo.  Is it still lit?  If not it is grounding on the
speedo case when it shouldn't.  If it is still lit the brown/yellow is
grounding somewhere it shouldn't.

PaulH.