RE: Floor replacements

To: "'Ken Waringa'" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Floor replacements
From: "Sinski, Ken" <KSINSKI@faidor.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:55:30 -0600
Ken,
I think the way I repaired my floors on my 74 CBB was perhaps a compromise
to the easy "pop rivets" (not a lot of strength) and the welding in of new
floors (must know what you are doing to avoid warping). I used a high speed
grinder/cutter (air driven) to remove the rusted sections of flooring within
the frame rails & transmission tunnel from underneath the car, this leaves a
nice flange about 1/2 inch all around the perimeter. The new floor panels
were then trimmed to fit from the top following the contour of the tunnel &
side frame rails. Then I used solid aircraft rivets shot from the top and
bucked from underneath, held in place by cleco clamps as I worked around the
perimeter. This is obviously a two person operation. The result was a very
strong floor installation and one must look very close to even detect the
rivets.

Ken,
58 MGA
74 CBB