Re: BMW commits? and is a new MG what we need?

To: <Tomsaudi@aol.com>
Subject: Re: BMW commits? and is a new MG what we need?
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:33:14 -0500
You're sentiments are probably consistent with the rest of the list.

For $20,000 I'd pick up a big Healey, but I think the vast majority of
driving enthusiasts appreciate things like the red carpet service, warranty,
leasing options, etc., that are associated with a new vehicle.  (For $20,000
I could properly restore both the Sprite and the Midget and have two $6,000
cars!)

Folks like us are an anomaly, hunting down obsolete parts, doing our own
mechanics and metalwork.  The shade-tree mechanic is sadly a thing of the
past.

As far as manufacturing is concerned, I long ago gave up caring about the
nationality of the grubby hands that assemble my vehicle.  What I think
determines nationality is the home and heritage of its designers.

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com
Bloomfield, NJ

>An excellent point was made about getting MG purists excited about a
>badge-engineered BMW Z3. You know, I think a strong point was made here.
>Let's say that on some magical day I had $20,000 or so in cash. I can do
one
>of the following:
>
>1. Go to my Land Rover or BMW dealer and buy an "MG" that was initially
>designed in Munich and built in South Carolina.
>
>2. Read the classifieds and buy one exceptional chrome bumper MGB, and one
>MGB GT, built in Abingdon.
>
>Again, this is the view from my side of the pond. I read MG World, a
British