Re: 1979 MGB Vapor Canister leaking Charcoal

To: 1979MGB <1979mgb@vixa.voyager.net>, MG list posting <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1979 MGB Vapor Canister leaking Charcoal
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:43:25 -0800 (PST)
Go to the pet store and buy a bag of activated charcoal that is used in a
fish tank. As for the filter...you can also buy a litter box filter pad
(these are the activated charcoal pads,3"x6"x1/8", that are used in the tops
of covered litterboxes (obligatory cat content)...or just cut up a green
pad.

Much cheaper than $60!

Dan Dwelley
77 Midget
Alexandria, Va.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:19:07 -0500, 1979MGB wrote:

>  Well list here goes my most current find.  When removing the vapor
>  canisters - yes it has 2 on the 79 - to do some touch up one had charcoal
>  leaking out the bottom nipple when I removed the hose.  There was some
>  charcoal behind it and not much in it so I figure the prior owner did
>  something and knew it leaked.
>
>  One of my books says these can be rebuilt - filter and charcoal replaced.
>  haven't taken it apart but I figure since the charcoal is leaking out
that
>  there is no filter holding the charcoal in.
>
>  My question:  I don't see anyone carrying any type filter replacement or
>  charcoal refill.  Are these available?  I really don't want to spend $60
on
>  a new one if I can put something in for a filter and some type charcoal.
>  Any suggestions what to use if kit not available.
>
>  Can anyone offer advice?
>
>  Also still entertaining suggestions for type of gasket sealer to use on
>  pan/valvecover/etc gasket replacement.
>
>  Thanks
>
>  Denny

Dan Dwelley