Re: MG is reborn?

To: "Eric Houkal" <erictw@enteract.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: MG is reborn?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:53:42 -0500
I think John Egan stepped in long before Ford did!  It seems that Ford only
improved its quality when the Japanese showed them how to make motor-cars.
You have to remember that Ford always trails in innovation because its goal
is to make a profit not a motor-car.  The Japanese, however, were
determined to make a motor-car.  They did (several) and profit followed.

At 10:09 AM 3/17/00 -0600, Eric Houkal wrote:

>> Hmmm. Let's see... Ford already owns a high-end sports car marque
>> (Jaguar).... Wouldn't MG fit nicely into the low-to-mid priced niche for
>> them?! Perhaps now that they've gotten a taste of Jaguar (as I noted
>> earlier, haven't seemed to have messed it up) perhaps they could become
>> Anglophiles!
>>
>> Dan D
>> 76 MGB Tourer
>> 99 Ford Windstar
>
>Keep in mind they also own Aston-Martin, they have a very strong presence in
>the high end and VERY high end market. Add to this the fact that they are
>now pretty much responsible for the Miata, and you have  a very good
>argument for them to sew up the low end sports car market, too.
> And for all the people making wretching noises re Ford taking over, I would
>strongly suggest you look at what they have done with A-M and Jaguar,
>neither of which would be around today without their support, and especially
>in the case of Jaguar as a vastly more viable product in today's market.
>Jaguar's lack of quality control had very nearly buried them when Ford
>stepped in, if you will remember.
> Eric ( the one from Chicago who almost never posts but keeps watching....)

Regards
Barrie Robinson
barrier@bconnex.net