Re: no-LBC content: gas prices, a rant, and an idea

To: DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com
Subject: Re: no-LBC content: gas prices, a rant, and an idea
From: Dan DiBiase <dibiase@home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 11:07:04 -0500
I'm not sure anyone has an issue with those that are actually using
their SUV's for transport of large families, towing, hauling (LBC)
parts, etc. However, on my 60-mile round-trip commute to work in Central
NJ, I see countless SUV's of all types - and many are in the
super-heavyweight class - Expeditions, Navigators, Tahoes, Yukons,
Suburbans - with only a driver... I'm willing to bet that a certain
number of these are used as a regular commute vehicle by those drivers
(versus borrowing the spouse's car for a day...). So, I think the issue
that many of us have is really with those SUVers that are used as
single-driver, daily commuters... Of which there are a LOT in my area.
Of course, they're paying for their choice of vehicle. Just was WE do
with our LBC's from time to time!

In addition to my 76 MGB and 95 VW Jetta (which is my daily driver) we
have a 99 Ford Windstar which we use to shuttle the 3 kids and dog
around town. It actually gets crappy mileage (average 17 - 19 mpg) and
surprisingly, when we go on long trips and put the rooftop carrier on,
it doesn't seem to change much. I think the mileage is in direct
proportion to the 200-hp V6 under the hood, which gets WAY too much use!

Dan D
Dayton, NJ
76 MGB Tourer