Re: no-LBC content:......now we're moving more into LBC related content!

To: tonyw@mailmedia.com
Subject: Re: no-LBC content:......now we're moving more into LBC related content!
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:19:33 -0600
There are restrictions on cars, yes.  However "trucks" (and SUV's are
considered trucks) are exempt from a lot of them including:

Bumper height.

Side-impact beams (although some manufacturers now include these anyway).

Restrictions on cost of bumper damage in a collision (I forget the
speed).

Gas-guzzler taxes and fleet mileage restrictions (not sure if the latter
still exist, actually).

Emissions restrictions.  Clinton recently signed legislation to phase out
this exemption for trucks.  Considering the greater amount of fuel burned
per mile and fewer emissions restrictions, SUV's are really
environmentally irresponsible, if you care about such things.
Considering that my Jaguar gets no better mileage than some SUV's, I have
a hard time being holier-than-thou on that point ;-).

And a host of other exemptions, many related to the safety of the
occupants.  People who drive SUV's because they think they are safer have
a false sense of security.  Crash tests have proven that you are more
safe in a similar size car than an SUV.  And as stated earlier, so is the
MG you smash into (MG content achieved yet again)!  SUV's tend to roll
over more easily than cars,

If you want more info see http://poseur.4x4.org/index.html.  Amongst the
vitriol there are some good facts and reasoned argument.

No, I don't think SUV's should be taken away from people.  My father has
a Chevy Tahoe that he uses to tow his boat and travel trailer and (gasp!)
actually goes off-road to go hunting.  They have their uses.  I just
think people buy them like sheep and they have the wool over their eyes.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD