Re: SUV etc. (No or very little MG/LBC content)

To: "Michael Jose" <mwjose@u.arizona.edu>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SUV etc. (No or very little MG/LBC content)
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:41:50 -0500
Well Mike - in this country Driving IS a privilege. It is and has never
been a right. On the other hand, as you say it is far too easier to get a
license. This is pretty important to me at the moment as I have a 16 y/o
daughter with a learners permit. She has had driving training and passed.
She could walk in the testing place and get her license today, but I will
no let her. Driving is NOT her right. It is a privilege and she can earn
it with more practice. And proof that she will be a safe defensive driver
on the road outside the apt complex we live in.

Larry

LBC Content - She is learning in the Midget!!!

At this exact moment in time 3/23/00 4:15 PM, mwjose@u.arizona.edu made
the profound statement:

>I think the deal with SUVs outside of the necessity context is that
>Americans want big fancy cars.  No one is going to take a Lexus or
>Mercedes or Cadillac or Lincoln SUV and do the same damage to it that he
>would an International Scout or a Blazer.  The way I see it is that when
>they instituted the fleet mileage and emissions standards, 6 passenger
>sedans died, as did those 20-foot long 7 liter 2 door Lincolns, because
>those monsters couldnt make the cut.  Trucks didn't have the same
>restrictions on mileage and emissions, and so have now taken the place
>of the old road yachts--gadget laden with creature comforts, huge, and
>they give the owner bragging rights as to having the biggest, best, most
>expensive (the Ford Excursion HAD to be bigger than the Suburban).
>Americans wanted their giant cars and emissions laws, and so we end up
>with giant SUVs (Now Volkswagen is coming out with one!).  I would like
>to say that I have absolutely no qualms with an SUV if you need one, but
>no one NEEDs a Cadillac SUV, it's a status symbol.  What would help with
>safety issues, and traffic congestion, and pollution, and road rage, is
>if it were actually harder than sending in box tops to get a license in
>this country.  I know in AZ, where I got mine 3 short years ago, the
>test was easy, and the guy before me didnt' even parallel park, and
>still got a license.  Here in America driving is a right, and not a
>privelege, and that is why the majority of drivers are unprepared for
>what awaits them on the roads, and moveable pedals and automatic
>transmissions just make it easier for poorer drivers to get behind the
>wheels of more and more steel.
>If it were harder to get a license, there would be many fewer cars on
>the road, less pollution, less traffic, and more room and gas for LBCs,
>which is what I think everyone wants!  Sorry to be so long, but I think
>this would help a lot of problems--make driving a privelege!!
>Mike Jose

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager