Re: SUV etc. (No or very little MG/LBC content)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SUV etc. (No or very little MG/LBC content)
From: Michael Jose <mwjose@u.arizona.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:15:12 -0700
I think the deal with SUVs outside of the necessity context is that
Americans want big fancy cars.  No one is going to take a Lexus or
Mercedes or Cadillac or Lincoln SUV and do the same damage to it that he
would an International Scout or a Blazer.  The way I see it is that when
they instituted the fleet mileage and emissions standards, 6 passenger
sedans died, as did those 20-foot long 7 liter 2 door Lincolns, because
those monsters couldnt make the cut.  Trucks didn't have the same
restrictions on mileage and emissions, and so have now taken the place
of the old road yachts--gadget laden with creature comforts, huge, and
they give the owner bragging rights as to having the biggest, best, most
expensive (the Ford Excursion HAD to be bigger than the Suburban).
Americans wanted their giant cars and emissions laws, and so we end up
with giant SUVs (Now Volkswagen is coming out with one!).  I would like
to say that I have absolutely no qualms with an SUV if you need one, but
no one NEEDs a Cadillac SUV, it's a status symbol.  What would help with
safety issues, and traffic congestion, and pollution, and road rage, is
if it were actually harder than sending in box tops to get a license in
this country.  I know in AZ, where I got mine 3 short years ago, the
test was easy, and the guy before me didnt' even parallel park, and
still got a license.  Here in America driving is a right, and not a
privelege, and that is why the majority of drivers are unprepared for
what awaits them on the roads, and moveable pedals and automatic
transmissions just make it easier for poorer drivers to get behind the
wheels of more and more steel.
If it were harder to get a license, there would be many fewer cars on
the road, less pollution, less traffic, and more room and gas for LBCs,
which is what I think everyone wants!  Sorry to be so long, but I think
this would help a lot of problems--make driving a privelege!!
Mike Jose