Re: Bodily Dimensions

To: Michael Torrusio <mtorrusi@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Bodily Dimensions
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 06:10:56 +0000
Michael Torrusio wrote:

> Question:
> We are going to get a roll bar for our 71B.  Is there any reason why
> you are having one built rather than getting one through say, Moss?

> > I have a person who is building me a rollbar (yes, finally) and he
> > would like to get materials and some  construction happening
> > before this weekend when I can give him my car for a few hours for
> > the final fitting.

Michael,

Yep, it is a racing thing.  The main reason is because I want the top of
my head to stay where it is and because I race my car and our rules
state that the rollbar needs to be more than 50mm above the driver's
head (to stop you losing the top of your head or breaking your neck if
you turn turtle).

Most 'off the shelf' rollbars don't conform to this - especially if you
are wearing a helmet.

The other requirements are that there needs to be a diagonal
crossmember, or a "tranverse tube between a top corner of the main
rollbar and a lower mounting point on the other side of the rollbar",
plus, for further strength I will have two "backstays".

As you see... not the usual "off the shelf" rollbar and one which will
probably prevent me from putting the roof up (unless I can find some
ingenious modification to either the roof/frame or rollbar which fits
all requirements).  I can make the rollbar (half cage) 'removable' to
return it to a 'roofed' vehicle for 'normal' driving.

Eric
'68MGB MkII