help with diagnosing carb settings?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: help with diagnosing carb settings?
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 12:22:54 -0500
So I replaced a ZSin a 76B with dual HIF's and the engine started. That is
a good start but it is not good enough to drive. Here is a symptom that I
don't understand and could use advice.

i) The car starts fine.
ii) Driving in 1st & 2nd, <2200 or so RPM, no problems that I am aware.
iii) When I go into 3rd and rev up to about 3000, the car starts
hickuping(?) and sputtering and jerking.
iv) Into 4th, the RPM goes down (good!) and the car smooths out until the
RPM go up with speed.

Being the 1st timer with tuning, I could use any suggestions about what to
look at and where to change settings.

TIA,

Bill