[OT] Clipsal500

To: MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: [OT] Clipsal500
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 22:07:48 +0000
Listers, please forgive me this indulgence...

I have just spent three long days standing beside a racetrack, getting
bits of rubber and dust thrown in my face and having my hearing
diminished (earplugs weren't always appropriate). I am exhausted and my
feet and legs hurt, and at one stage I was standing for over an hour in
pouring rain which just about killed my radio equipment.

It was hard work but boy, was it fun... and I got to meet and work with
some very nice and very professional guys (trackies).

I have just finished my duties as an Official (observer/communications)
at a flag point for the Clipsal500, a fantastic three days of racing and
partying right in the city of Adelaide, South Australia.

http://www.clipsal500.com.au

Oh yeah, apart from the V8 Supercars (the major races of the event) and
a whole lot of other classes of open wheel and saloon-type racing, I
also had the chance to assist three Brabham family members racing
against each other in the same event, with Sir Jack Brabham (now in his
70's) driving... a Brabham!  And boy can that guy still race!

The fourth Brabham kid was not allowed to race - he is racing Le Mans
cars for the Panoz team now and his contract does not permit him to
undertake "dangerous activities".

Yes, Sir Jack was driving a 3 litre V8 Brabham BT24 racer - the same
type of car that he won his last Formula 1 World Championship crown in.
He didn't win the final, but it wasn't for lack of skill or trying... it
was a tough race.  And don't let anyone tell you that those Brabham boys
don't race to win (even against Dad:-)

Race history lovers note the results of race 1:

1. Geoff Framer - Lotus 49 Cosworth
2. Pete Lovely - Lotus 49B
3. Gary Brabham - Brabham BT23A Repco
4. Geoff Brabham - Brabham BT11A