Re: [OT] Clipsal500-reply

To: Scotty <scotty@dove.net.au>
Subject: Re: [OT] Clipsal500-reply
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:05:01 +0610
Scotty wrote:

> Eric, tell us all about the touring car that had the bonnet fly up
> on the warm up lap because one of the pit crew forgot to put in the
> safety pins.
>
> enquiring minds need to know the ramifications of this.

Ha!  Yep I was thinking of the list when I saw this.  He had either a
rope or worse (an octopus strap??) holding the bonnet semi-down when he
went past me.

The bonnet went up and smashed the windscreen.  Under the rules he was
only allowed to race without a windscreen if he had a full-face helmet
and if he popped out the rear window (air-pressure would pop it out on
the track otherwise).

So that is how he started (after fixing down the bonnet).  I didn't see
him much later (car 54 I believe, or was that 45:-) but if he was
running when it started pouring down rain he would have been a VERY
soggy racer.

So it ain't just MGs that have bonnet problems.  How embarrassing!

Eric
'68MGB MkII