Re: Running without a thermostat-reply

To: Scotty <scotty@dove.net.au>
Subject: Re: Running without a thermostat-reply
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:41:38 -0500
Scotty wrote:

> On Thursday, 20 April 2000 Eric ruimenated ;-)
> Subject: Running without a thermostat

> > Can I canvass the range of opinions on running with no thermostat at all?
> If the car didn't need a thermostat the factory wouldn't have fitted one to
> keep production costs down. You need the thing to ensure the correct flow of
> coolant around the head, so I was told! Perhaps we will both learn from the
> wisdom of the list?  It does get cold here too y'know, remember we had frost
> on the lawn one time last winter? I thought about moving to Florida!! ;-)
>
> L8R,
>
> Scotty. [ Who remembers the big freeze last winter, eh? Eric?]
> Adelaide, Australia.

As far as I know, all A and B series engines must have a blanking sleeve
fitted if run without the thermostat. I had one on the MGA I raced and also
on the Mini I raced after the MG got broken. These were easily obtained then
for free from the BMC racing support truck. I doubt that is the case now.

Without either a stat or the sleeve, one of the cylinders overheats and
damages the engine.

-Rock
--
Rocky, JJ Cale Band & Pratchett Books: http://www.rocky-frisco.com