General electric question (no not GE)

To: Carl Elliott <grunt2@adelphia.net>
Subject: General electric question (no not GE)
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 09:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
I've been having a chat with Carl Elliott because I seem to be
developing multiple problems (including the dreaded quick finger-see
following).

It all started with the replacement of a SZ carb with dual HIF's. After
the change, the car started before balancing the carbs but then backfired
under load.
        The list's suggestion seemed to focus on the coil so I replaced
it with a Lucas sports coil (in anticipation of doing a Petronix change).

Result: no spark at all. I then put the old coil back on and still no
start, but I noticed some things that make me think I have multiple
problems.

So I contacted Carl who lives 45 minutes away and is a far more
knowledgeable person about these things than I. Overnight I decided, since
Andy in Canada has been hitting the list with what sounds like some
similar problems, that I would appeal to all for suggestions.

Now that you are up to date...

Sorry Carl, yesterday I hit the send button too fast, even before I wrote
what  I was about to write and then stopped anyway. Sorry...what nice car
are you talking about?

Seriously,
1) no electronic ignition I think.  But first, what means electronic
ignition (told you I'm a novice with these things...)... The distributor
has points.

2) I lost spark to the plugs when I changed the coil to a new Lucas sports
coil. When I put the old coil back in, spark was still lost. Wires to
the negative side...one goes to the tach; a 1000 ohm resistor is
connected to the + which does go to the distributor. Yes, I might have
mixed up the wires but I hear the starting motor turn and turn and ...
(which is a good sign?)

3) Reading voltage across the coil, no matter how long I charge the
battery, it never goes over 10 V.

4) I don't think I'm getting spark to the distributor because the wire
from the coil to the distributor doesn't spark across the block when I
tried that.

5) Here's an out and out question. What looks like a capacitor (a small
blue jobbie) is attached to the + end of the coil. Its ground appears to
be the chassis because it is only connected at one end. What is this?

6) And the piece de resistance (as I mentioned to Carl), the jet does
not move when I turn the jet adjusting screw on one carb. I also do not
hear the squeal of what sounds like an o-ring as  I do with the other
carb whose jet moves what I assume properly.

Well, Happy Passover and Easter and Lent whatever your persuasion and
finally, and one more question?

How do I cure the back pain on Sunday from leaning into the motor
compartment on Saturday?  I know...occupational hazard for us OF's but
still, a wise word for alleviating this lower back pain (as well as the
pain from not driving) might help.

Adios for now,

Bill