Re: General electric question (no not GE)

To: "Bill Saidel" <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>,
Subject: Re: General electric question (no not GE)
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:41:37 +0100
If you have a resistor between the coil and distrbutor then it sounds like
you have the early 'Opus' ('opeless) electronic ignition system - this has a
large module plus vacuum capsule bolted to the side of the distributor.

You will also have a ballast resistor in series with the coil, and depending
on the effects of the electronic unit on current flow, whenether the engine
is running or stationary and whether the points are open or closed, you may
see anything between 12v and 6v on the coil +ve, but you should alwasy have
12v-14v at the other end of the ballast i.e. on the white/brown at the fuse
block and ignition relay..

A gizmo bolted to the metalwork and with a wire connected to the coil +ve
sounds like a noise suppression capacitor.  You can disconnect it while
testing to eliminate it.

 PaulH.