69 mgb brakes and fuel sender/retry

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 69 mgb brakes and fuel sender/retry
From: "Chris Spenceley" <spenceley@isn.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:26:01 -0300
I purchased a '69 MGB this past October, the car had no fluid in the
brake
lines.  On removing the rear wheel drums the drivers side was well
fouled
with a greasy black build-up.  I thought this would be either rear axel
fluid
or brake fluid.  The wheel cylinder on that side was leaking, I suppose
so
much so that the entire system drained via this leak.  I bought
replacement
shoes and installed them. When I tried to put the drums back on I found
this
to be quite difficult as they wouldn't slide on easily as past
experience with
other makes of autos.  I used a rubber hammer to finally get them
seated,
the wheels now turn with a slight drag and the adjusters are fully
disengaged.
Is this normal or are the shoes shod with a linings that are too thick.

A second question.  The fuel tank on my car is of the early pre'66 type.
It was
leaking fuel from the sender unit when I put the car away back in
October.
At that time I drained the tank and removed the sender. I have since
reinstalled
the sender but don't remember where to attach the ground wire, either to
one
 of the screws where the unit attachs to the tank or to one of the
screws of the rectangular part in the centrof the sender.
The car is still on jack stands having other things attended to ,but I
can't
wait to get her on the road for the first time, hopefully very soon.
TIA for your help.  Chris, in PEI Canada