Re: In search of Better Brakes...

To: "MG Board" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In search of Better Brakes...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 16:40:08 -0700
Many vehicles have such as standard equipment (like my '67 Plymouth). It
is located on the rear brake line, and increases/decreases pressure
relative to the front brakes. For the most part the proportionate braking
force is designed into the vehicle, considering the relative
effectiveness of the front and rear brakes (disc/drum, sizes), known
weight distribution, intended use, etc. But if the brakes (or f/r weight
distribution) are modified in any way, a proportioning valve would help
insure that each end was pulling its weight (so to speak) in a safe and
effective manner. I believe racers often have this adjustable from the
cockpit, although that hardly seems necessary in a street car. The single
master cylinder MGB has what I believe is a proportioning valve in the
brake line, but I don't think it is externally adjustable in any manner.
But maybe it can be internally modified/adjusted? Not that you'd want a
single MC setup as your ultimate stopping machine...

Baker, G. had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149