Sprite brakes (was 69 mgb brakes and fuel sender/retry)

To: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sprite brakes (was 69 mgb brakes and fuel sender/retry)
From: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 21:42:26 -0400
Mike L. wrote:
>I had the tite drum fit scenario on my Bugeye. If I recall some of
>it was cured by centering the shoe assy, the rest of it I drove
>with and checked wheel temp often to be safe. My guess is if you
>can rotate wheel by hand a little rubbing won't hurt. Don't go on
>a long hiway trip till all's well.

Funny thing is, I've got the exact opposite problem. I'm currently helping a
friend get his 1960 Sprite back together, and have completely redone the
brakes. Newly relined shoes, new return springs, lightly turned drums, still
with plenty of thickness to them, and I've reassembled everything. Problem
is, I've got the snail cam adjusters out to their maximum, and still too
much clearance. I've inspected the shoes, and nothing seems ground away from
the backing webs, or anything stupid like that. Ive also checked out the
adjusters, and the cylinders, everything seems normal.
I hate to bastardize by adding metal to the shoe webs, heck I shouldn't have
to Mickey Mouse things like this!
Any thoughts?
Rich Chrysler