Re: [Re: Another body work question -- advice, please!]

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Another body work question -- advice, please!]
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 2 May 00 13:53:03 EDT
Thanks, Paul, for the helpful thoughts on the state of my car's bodywork.
The cracking filler is just above the rear wheel opening, where the inner
wheel arch meets the fender.  I believe that there is rust beginning at
that point, and displacing the filler.  I plan to replace the outer panel,
and hopefully get away with just patching the inner -- it appears to be in
decent shape.

W/R/T the doors:  I have considered reinforcements to the door, similar to
what you describe, particularly the backing plate for the mirror.  This is
a weak spot of these cars, and seems to be if not easily fixed, then
easily improved.  I have adjusted the doors, and the gaps are good all
around, and when the door is closed, the trim piece makes a straight line
from headlamp to taillight.  When the door is opened, it droops 1/4" or
so.  Does that mean worn-out hinges?  How tough are those to replace?
Moss lists them at $80 apiece, two per door; which means over three
hundred dollars just to check and see.

Any suggestions about or experiences with door fit, rust repair, DIY
sills/floors etc.  gladly welcomed --  I'll probably be digging into this
project at some point this summer.

Many thanks,

Matt