Non-ignition electrics 101. [RE: An Introduction]

To: "'Ernest S.'" <ernestern@home.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Non-ignition electrics 101. [RE: An Introduction]
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:03:28 -0700
Hey ernest.

what a story! don't let her go, you've been through too much together!

It's sad you have to suffer the effects of the neglect of others... it could
have been worse, it could have been british rain.

Anyhow. don't give up, if the engine runs, and the brakes, clutch and
transmission are in a sound state, it sounds like you are starting off from
a better position than many of the project cars on the list. IMHO
non-ignition electrics are the easiest things to fix.

Given a wiring diagram, and a good multimeter, you can't go wrong. look for
hotwire or ground connections common to failing elements (e.g. on my '79B if
the front and rear flashers don't work then as they have different ground
connections it must be the hotwire side of the lamp, whilst if the front
flasher and running light both don't work but the rear flasher does, then it
is probably the ground connection common to these two lights seeing as thye
have different hot connections). look for bullet connectors and other
connections (especially ground). These are often the culprit. Simply
disconnecting, cleaning off (i.e. ensuring metal-metal contact and no
corrosion), and reconnecting will often do the job. In the case of hotwires,
take your trusty voltmeter, and establish at what points in the circuit are
hot and which not, working from the outsides in. Thus start with the lamp
connection, and the fuse box (or always hot hot wire, which ever is
appropriate for your circuit). Then move "inwards" on the wiring diagram. If
the lamp is dead, is the bullet connector from the wiring harness dead too?
on both sides? (AHA!) If so, find the bullet connector on the other end of
the harness, and test that... see what i mean about working inwards?
Eventually you will have worked from the lamp to the switch. At the same
time, work inwards from the fuse box (or the hot wire) to the switch.
Eventually you will find a component or a connector which is hot on one
side, and dead on the other. Voila! There's your culprit.

I spent a few hours the weekend i bought my B, and fixed a whole list of
minor electrical problems this way. As long as the harness is not shot
(which is very unlikely barring anything really nasty having happened). The
electrics are all modular and replaceable with the minimum of fuss. Maybe i
just think this cos i'm electrically minded. But i'd much rather be sorting
out the electrics than trying to set the timing or rebuild a carb!

hope this helps

cheers

Joe

Dr. Joseph Garner