Re: Problem solved for the moment? and a Towing question (Was An Introdu

To: "Ernest S." <ernestern@home.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Problem solved for the moment? and a Towing question (Was An Introduction)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:41:26 -0700
Oh no! The towing thread rears its ugly head again! Ernest, as a newbie
you are unaware of this, but the debate over flat towing is one of the
legendary longwinded and unresolved arguments. Here are some of the
highlights:

- don't tow wire wheel cars backwards. The center caps unscrew and the
wheels fall off.

- therefore, if you have wire wheels and use a dolly the rear wheels
should be on the ground...

- it has been reported that towing long distances with the rear wheels on
the ground can (but not necessarily always) cause the transmission to
catch on fire. To prevent this one should remove the driveshaft (unless
you don't think you need to, and you turn out to be right).

- if you DON'T have wire wheels you COULD put the rear wheels on the
dolly, and not worry about the driveshaft...

- unless someone has an objection to that as well.

- in all cases a cat is required as the proper chock for the wheels when
parked.

Frankly, in my opinion only, on the Washington to Texas haul I would just
save the wear and tear on the MG (and the debate on the list) and go for
the trailer. But...

...YMMV!!!

Ernest S. had this to say:

--