RE: "basket case" title? (MD)

To: "'Adam Arabian'" <arabian@allegronet.com>, mglist <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: "basket case" title? (MD)
From: "Lambdin, Mike" <mlambdin@towson.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 12:06:07 -0400
Adam,

First let me issue the qualifier that's it's been a number of years since I
did this myself  so the rules have probably changed.

The Maryland MVA, using the VIN of the car I had just purchased (no title
existed), attempted to contact the last registered owner who was deceased. I
had to get his wife to sign a notorized statement that the title no longer
existed. I had purchased it from her grandson and  had to obtain a statement
from him as to how he obtained the vehicle.

With this paperwork in hand I was able to get a title in my name. Piecing
the car together makes no difference - the part of the car with the VIN
number on it is the crucial item. Having purchased a partial car, which had
no title, from a junk yard was easy - the yard owner just signed the form
the MVA gave me , stating where the car came from and that there was no
title. (Not suggesting you do this but, for a couple dollars......Do you
know anyone who runs a yard?)

Good luck. Hope all works out.

Mike