Low oil pressure

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Low oil pressure
From: "Brad Pace" <britclas@ior.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 05:20:18 -0700
Hi all, Here is a query to mull over for a bit; what are some of the
causes for the engine to have 65 psi oil pressure at start up, but
after 10 miles of driving it is down to 20 psi at highway speed?

Just went to look at an old MGA the other day and ended up buying it.
It had been idle for 16 years in a fellows shop for all that time with
a car cover on it.Except that the body is fairly beat up it is in
decent shape,ie, all intact, nice glass and interior,all the mechanics
un DPO'd and even has old bias ply tires with wide white walls.Well it
did not take much to get it running and surprise of surprise, the
hydraulics still worked , with a bit of pumping.After cleaning the
carbs and tuning it up, I thought the engine was in remarkable
condition, until I drove it down to the license bureau and saw that
the O/P gradually dropped to the low end of the scale, all this in
cool air and engine temp. of 180.Have not changed oil yet as the stuff
in it was as clean as if it were just poured in. At least it has a new
windshield and the gearbox is as quiet, in all gears, as a factory new
one.
Anybody got a clue?
Thanks, Brad